Illustration of writing an article on a laptop

ASU Lodestar Center Blog

Google and beyond: How to master search engine research for your grant proposal

Don’t get me wrong. Google is my best friend. I shudder when I think of how difficult it was in the dark ages prior to this uber useful search engine. However, Google is a tool, and like other search engines, a data middleman, not the end result. I myself have been frustrated by even its super powers to extract data that I know is out there in cyberspace.

So how do we search so we can find that most wonderful of prizes? How to best use the Internet to find the data we need? How do we judge the quality of the hits we get?

Although I do not claim to be an expert, I am happy to share what I’ve learned in more than a decade of mining the Internet for information to support grant proposals.

Information search tips:

• Less is more. Try using fewer key words in your initial search, particularly if you are having problems getting hits.
  • Having said that, I have had luck with long, specific searches although it is not typical. It doesn’t cost anything to try it though!
  • Review the hits to help refine your search; if the search engine is picking up on the wrong key words get rid of them.
  • Rearrange the words in your search; sometimes the search engine focuses too much on the first word in the string.
  • Include words like “study” and “best practices” in the search to find research based information. I have found just adding “study” will give me much better hits.
  • When you review your list of hits, look at the web address; is it from a reputable source such as a .edu, a government agency or peer journal? Or is it Auntie Mimi’s everything awesome blog?
  • Include your city or state in the search to mine local data.

Do you need help getting a new nonprofit organization off the ground?
Contact an ASU Lodestar Center nonprofit specialist today.

Good, better, best data

When you find a hit, then what? Review your findings:

• Is it from a reputable source such as a federal agency, a college or a peer journal?
  • Does it support your program’s need? Does it say that the program you are proposing is effective in solving the problem? Ding ding, we have a winner!
  • Conversely, does it confirm the problem you are addressing is a problem?
  • Is it dated recently? Preferably within the past two years?
  • Is it local data? This is best, and the more local the better, but local data can be difficult to find. Use the data that’s as close to home as you can.

Some other information gathering ideas

• Once you’ve found a good study, review the citations listed in the study to lead you to other sources for supporting data.
  • Go to the source – if you are in substance abuse prevention for example, go straight to the SAMSHA website for data, studies and best practices.
  • The US Census is the best resource for local demographics.
  • Articles written about the issue already have the data synthesized for you. Just make sure they list their sources and you do too.

I read a joke that sums up my feelings about this topic -

Question: “What makes you happy?”
Answer: “Data.”
Question: “No, no, what makes you feel fulfilled? Complete?”
Pause –
Answer: “Good data.”

Even if you are not a data geek like me, I hope I have helped you to succeed in mining that lump of gold that is recent, supportive data for your cause!

Carolyn Owens has 15 years of experience in grant writing and program development. She loves helping nonprofits attain their goals and brings the same determination and drive to grant writing that she uses when competing in triathlons.

Tags

ASU Lodestar Center Blog