Wednesday, May 2, 2012 - 8:19am

posted by
Audra Buras

Grants and Outreach Specialist, 
 Program for Torture Victims

In the world of nonprofit sponsorship, it’s no secret that cause marketing has rapidly become the most popular method for nonprofits and businesses to simultaneously make money. A lot of money.

According to a recent study, 90% of Americans want companies to tell them the ways they are supporting causes. And 83% of these consumers say that they wish brands would support causes.

Arguably, cause marketing is becoming something of a social movement.

I have seen my fair share of nonprofit marketing: the good, the bad, and the outrageous. My nonprofit experience runs the gamut from granting sick kid’s wishes, to helping torture survivors from around the world and even fundraising for first-class symphony orchestras. (Some days I question whether or not I might be a nonprofit junkie. All signs point to yes.)

These experiences have led me to wonder— are cause-centric promotions a good thing? Or bad thing?

I have worked on cause marketing campaigns that brought in millions and millions of dollars. The supremacy of slapping a logo on a product is often mind-boggling to me. If a water bottle, toy, pen, key ring, t-shirt, water heater, or whatever, has a nonprofit’s logo on it— you are more likely to buy it. And that purchase can bring copious amounts of cash through the doors of nonprofits. Nonprofits that otherwise would not have received that money, since the business is producing the product. This is a good thing, right?

Well, I’m not so sure. Why do I think it could be a bad thing? The argument behind consumption philanthropy comes to mind. Especially when I think about some of the absurd cause marketing campaigns that have been produced in recent years, like Susan G. Komen and KFC's notable folly. Moreover, it seems that the largest nonprofits with the largest budgets get the big bucks— while the smaller nonprofits that are in dire need of funding get left out of these highly commercialized campaigns.

Which leads me to the agonizingly, rhetorical question that I have yet to resolve in my mind.

Are consumption philanthropists naively drawn in by tantalizing cause marketing campaigns? Or, do cause marketers actually create accessible avenues for advocacy?

I guess it varies from campaign to campaign. But I do feel that a shopper’s indolent contribution to an already enormous nonprofit budget tends to leave the smaller nonprofits, that can hardly keep their doors open, out in the bitter cold.

Audra Buras is currently serving as an AmeriCorps VISTA member in Los Angeles, California. She has over six years of experience in the nonprofit sector, and recently received her M.A. in Communication Studies from Arizona State University. She also holds a B.S. in Public Relations from Northern Arizona University.

Like this article? Get another!

Click here to read Timothy J. Schmaltz's "Nonprofit Fundraising and Advocacy"

Comments

I understand your mixed feelings about cause marketing, Audra. However, it is NOT for large nonprofits alone. Many smaller organizations are benefiting from cause partnerships with local and regional businesses. They may not be front and center in the press, but they exist nonetheless.

Any sized organization can pursue cause marketing IF it does the due diligence and prepares before heading off to "ask."

Blog Archive

2018

2017

2013

2012

2011

Welcome

Thank you for visiting the ASU Lodestar Center website.
Please indicate how you would like to proceed.

Don't have an account? Register today!