Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 12:16pm
posted by
Hannah Humphrey,

Public Allies Arizona Alumna /
Outreach Coordinator,

Xico

What does it mean to be a community organization? Nonprofit professionals use the word "community" a lot. We talk about serving the community, building community, and engaging community. But sometimes we forget that "the community" is not just an abstract demographic.

I'm lucky to live and work in downtown Chandler, a community with an active merchants' association and a city that is very interested in creating a sense of place. What I've learned from Chandler is that community is not a place — it's a practice. This community works because we know our neighbors, because we look out for each other, and because, sometimes, we care enough to argue with each other. I see community when the barber shop next door to my office holds packages that were delivered when we were out. I see community when business owners get up early to go to a meeting about parking restrictions. I see community when someone asks me for a recommendation, and I can say, "Sure, I know exactly who can help you. They're just down the street."

If you're looking for ways to find community, the best strategy I've seen is Asset Based Community Development (thanks Public Allies!), which uses the strengths that already exist in a community to effect positive change. You can click here to read more about the theory, or you can start exploring the resources near you with an asset map.

Asset Based Community Development can be a great way to start thinking about community, but the important thing is to move beyond theory and on to action. Action in this case really means interaction. Community is built on a million everyday interactions between community members. You can find websites with practical ways to facilitate community interactions, or ask colleagues at other nonprofit organizations for tips.

I would encourage everyone to start looking for community in their local area, but you’re not limited geographically. Nonprofits can also reach out to online communities through social media, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and blogs (like this one). Maybe you'll find that your community is made up of people around the world, or maybe you'll discover that they're right next door.

Comments

I agree we need more of these model communities. Our 15 year old son is severely autistic. I once envisioned something I called an Autism Mir where families with Autistic relatives could form a community dedicated to, no only shared support, but also providing a Home for the Adult Autistics once the parents are too old, or gone. FYI, Mir is a russian term for a village where the people are dedicated to mutual survival. Thank you for the post! Keep up the good work.

I like your statement that community is a practice. I would go further than that and say it is a way of life. I also think that a strong sense of community - but one which encompasses not only your immediate location but our species as a whole - is the only way forward.

We need to stop the divisive fighting and power jockeying and start looking at the very real issues that impact on our future survival and that of our children.

It's a great idea to start looking for community in our local area. Reaching out to online communities trough social media is one of a good way to make an interaction. However, I hope to find the community that is not just a place but a community where people make an interaction intimately.

This is a great post! I am new to Chandler but I have already noticed that it has a wonderful community. Communities where people are interacting with each other should defiantly be supported and every community needs to have a good network. Humans need interaction and support. Online communities are a great starting place, but the people there cannot forget to go out and see the world and meet others in person.

Blog Archive

2019

2018

2017

2013

2012

2011

Welcome

Thank you for visiting the ASU Lodestar Center website.
Please indicate how you would like to proceed.

Don't have an account? Register today!