All of the courses in this certificate program can be applied to fulfilling the professional development requirements in earning or maintaining the Certified Association Executive credential. Learn more here.
This certificate is designed to meet the professional needs of senior-level managers and emerging executives of nonprofit and public organizations. The curriculum is designed in a cohort format to promote skill-building and peer networking among seasoned leaders. Upon successful completion of the program, participants will receive a Nonprofit Executive Leadership Certificate from the ASU Lodestar Center for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Innovation. Facilitators are current and former CEOs and executive directors of nonprofit organizations with a vast amount of combined experience as change-making practitioners in the field. A variety of instructional methods are used to provide engaging, practice-oriented learning experiences that are focused on knowledge, skills, and techniques that can immediately be implemented.
Participants enrolled in the Nonprofit Executive Leadership Certificate have access to the following:
- A robust network of established experts and cohort colleagues that share best-practices and offer guidance and support;
- An interactive, adult-learning environment offering relevant curriculum that provides participants with a strong capacity to lead;
- Transformational learning, tailored for experienced nonprofit leaders seeking to enhance the impact they have in their organizations and the community;
- Immediate and accessible knowledge and tools that strengthen necessary skills, improve efficiency, and provide the ability to implement best-practices of high-impact nonprofit organizations;
- Locations throughout the Phoenix metropolitan area and the greater Southwest region;
- Peer-based learning that advances each participant’s ability to identify opportunities to collaborate and partner; and
- Reflective practices in an interactive learning environment
Phoenix Courses and Schedule
- NMI 205 Nonprofit Executive Leadership - Friday, January 19, 2018
- During this course, you will be introduced to current models of leadership and core leadership competencies.
- NMI 211 Strategic Governance and the CEO – Friday, February 16, 2018
- This course explores the components inherent in creating and maintaining a governing body that promotes a healthy and successful nonprofit organization.
- NMI 226 Advanced Resource Development – Friday, March 16, 2018
- This course delves into annual funds, major gifts, capital campaigns, planned giving, grants and special events.
- NMI 221 Social Entrepreneurship, Innovation, and New Bus. Models – Friday, April 13, 2018
- In this course, you will assess your organization’s readiness for social entrepreneurship.
- NMI 210 Public Trust and Influence - Friday, May 4, 2018
- This course will discuss the role nonprofits play in influencing public policy, leading social movements, building coalitions, and organizing issue campaigns.
- NMI 203 Financial Management for Executives - Friday, June 1, 2018
- This session integrates financial management into executive decision making and addresses the struggle to match mission with financial resources.
- NMI 260 Nonprofit Executive Leadership Capstone – Friday, June 29, 2018
Each course will have required reading for participants to complete before its face-to-face session. Readings, videos and case studies can be located on the ASU Blackboard under the course entitled "Certificate for Nonprofit Executive Leadership."
The face-to-face session in Phoenix will be held on Fridays from 9 am to 5 pm located at the ASU Downtown Phoenix (UCENT Building). After each face-to-face session, participants will complete a course project that they will submit virtually to their instructor for feedback. At the end of this certificate, participants will have seven projects they can implement within their organization.
Who Should Register
This certificate is designed for senior-level management and emerging executive leaders in the nonprofit sector. At a minimum, a registrant should have several years of professional or management experience within the nonprofit sector.
Benefits of the Nonprofit Executive Leadership Certificate:
- Demonstrate your commitment to being an expert in your field and build your credibility
- Increase and showcase your skills. Learn a new technology, branch out into a new area, and showcase your achievement through a capstone final project.
- Open the doors of opportunity. Many organizations are asking candidates to list their certifications. Do you often skip this area? If so, you are missing out on a key element that can make you stand out from the crowd.
Registration and Fee Schedule
There are two steps to enroll into the program:
- Apply via the "Apply here" button, and your name will be put on the initial class roster. There is a $25 registration fee and the registration deadline is - January 5, 2018
- After you register, you can pay the tuition cost via one of our payment options (early bird, by the deadline, or via our payment plan option). Once you pay your tuition, you will receive your materials, and information to start the program that begins on January 19, 2018. The program is approximately 6 months long and will meet from January 2018 to June 2018.
||At time of registration, no later than January 5, 2018
||Phoenix: $25 (non-refundable)
|Tuition Payment Due
January 5, 2018
|Intent to Graduate Fee
||At time of tuition payment
||At time of cancellation, after tuition deadline -
January 8, 2018
For additional information please contact Cindi Thiede, Director Professional Development Education at (602) 496-1061 or Cynthia.Thiede@asu.edu.