Do you have questions about the ASU Lodestar Center's Nonprofit Management Institute (NMI) and the certificates it offers? This FAQ provides answers to the most commonly asked questions. If you do not find the answer to your questions, you can contact us at 602.496.0500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How much will a certificate from the ASU Lodestar Center's Nonprofit Management Institute (NMI) cost me?
- Each of the eight courses required for the Nonprofit Management Certificate costs $349,
for a total of$2792 for the entire certificate. If you register for the full certificate at once, you will receive one class for free, and the total will be $2443 (price includes the $50 intent to graduate fee).
- Principles of Grant Development and Proposal Writing consist of 3 courses that cost $900. You can enroll early and receive a 10% discount, making the total cost $810. Advanced Grant Development and Proposal Writing is 4 courses that total $1200. You can enroll early and receive a 10% discount, making the total $1080 for a total of $900 for the entire certificate. if you register for the full certificate at once, you will receive a 10% discount, and the certificate will be $810.00.
- Social Impact Measurement Certificate is 8 weeks long and costs $749.
- The Certificate in Nonprofit Executive Leadership courses cannot be purchased individually, and is a total of $3,000 for the entire certificate.
Are these courses academic units at ASU?
- No. All courses offered by the Nonprofit Managment Institute are considered to be professional development credits that help students expand and flourish in their current roles in the nonprofit industry.
Are scholarships or financial aid offered?
- Scholarships and financial aid are not offered for our programs as these are considered to be professional development courses.
Do I receive grades for the work that I complete?
- No. Each student will receive a "pass" or "no pass". In order to successfully pass the course, you must register, pay, attend the stated hours and participate in the class discussions. All class activites must also be completed during the course. If you attend only part of the course, you will not receive a pass for the course. Participants receive certificates of completion upon successful completion of the course.
How long can I take to complete my full certificate?
- Students have a total of three years from initial registration in the program to meet all of their certificate requirements.
When is the registration deadline for courses?
It is recommended that you register for a course as soon as possible, to avoid the course being closed. Many courses offer a discount if registered more than two-weeks prior.
- The ASU Lodestar Center reserves the right to require all first-time ONLINE users to our programs and courses to register 2-3 business days prior to the start date of the course. NO first-time ONLINE users will be allowed to register after the course has started.
- After the user has created and activated their ASURITE ID(username) with a working password all interested parties may register one business day prior to the course start date.
- If you have an active ASURITE ID and would like to register for a course after the deadline, please call Program Manager Julie Huffman at 602-496-0500. A participant with an active ASURTIE ID and working password can register up to one business day prior to the course start date.
How do I register for a course?
- To register for a course, visit our online registration page, and use the filters at the top of the page to determine the course you would like to take. You can filter by "Course Delivery/Region", "Course Title", and "Certificate Program". You can then pay by credit card via the site. If you need to submit a check, please select that option on the checkout screen.
Which courses can I take online?
- All certificates may be taken online at this time, except for the Nonprofit Executive Leadership program. This program has six courses and a Capstone course that are held in the face to face format on Fridays over a span of five months.
What are the technical requirements for taking a course online?
- In your online course, you will need access to Internet Explorer 8 or higher, Adobe Reader 8 or higher, and Adobe Flash Player.
Where and when are the courses?
- Online Courses
- Online courses last for two weeks, starting on a Monday and ending on a Sunday. Participants should plan to spend about 15-20 hours towards a two-week course. Online courses can be accessed any time of day during the course.
- Face to Face Courses
- Face to Face courses are held in the Phoenix Metro at the ASU Lodestar Center in Downtown Phoenix. The address is University Center 411 N. Central Ave. Phoenix, AZ 85004. The classroom number will be in the course registration link.
- Courses are held on Thursdays and Fridays and last from 9:00am to 5:00pm with an hour for lunch each day.
How long will it take me to earn my full certificate?
- The Nonprofit Management Certificate (8 courses) can take from six to twelve months depending on delivery.
- The Grant Development and Proposal Writing Certificate (3 courses) will take you three months.
- The Social Impact Measurement Certificate is 8 weeks long.
- The Certificate in Nonprofit Executive Leadership (7 courses) will take you six months.
Do I have to take the courses in a specific order?
- The Nonprofit Management Certificate is the only certificate that allows you to take all the courses in any order. The remaining certificate programs must be taken in the order they are listed.
Do I need to take all of the courses in a certificate program?
- To earn a full certificate, you must complete all of the courses in any given certificate program. If you only want to take courses that interest you, you may still do so. The only exception is the Nonprofit Executive Leadership Program. You must register for all 7 courses as it is a cohort format.
Is there a graduation ceremony or reception for the certificate programs?
- Yes! In the spring, the Lodestar Center hosts a graduation ceremony and reception. The Nonprofit Managmenet Certificate and Executive Leadership Certificate are recognized at this event. Certificates are then mailed after the ceremony.
How do the online courses work?
- We host our online courses on ASU Blackboard, they require active participation. Each online course is divided into four or five sections with their own activities, readings assignments, and discussion question (DQ) boards. There is no set time to log in at, however, activities and DQ's will have due dates. Participants need to log into ASU Blackboard to make sure they complete the assignments and stay on track.
- In order to participate in your online course, you will need an active ASURITE ID and working password. This will be your username/login for ASU Blackboard. When you register for an online course you will be prompted to fill out the appropriate information so Lodestar Center staff can either find your ASURITE ID(ASU alumni, for example) or create a new one.
- Please note that the ASU Lodestar Center is no longer using ASU Continuing Education Blackboard.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
ASU Lodestar Center for Philanthropy & Nonprofit Innovation reserves the right to cancel a scheduled course or program. All students will be notified and issued a full refund of the canceled course.
- Participants can cancel their registration up to one week (seven days) prior to class start date.
- To cancel a registration, return to the original registration website. At the home page, click on Modify Registration. On the next page scroll down to the bottom and click, Cancel Registration. ASU Lodestar Center for Philanthropy & Nonprofit Innovation will refund your purchase minus a $35 cancellation fee. Refunds will be made in the same payment format as the original submission. No refunds will be processed from one week (seven days) prior to class start date.
- ASU Lodestar Center for Philanthropy & Nonprofit Innovation regrets that we cannot transfer you to another class. If you want to change classes, please complete the cancellation process and simply register for the new course you wish to take.
- NOTE: there will be no refunds for no-shows. For online courses, individuals who have not logged into Blackboard or contacted ASU Lodestar Center for Philanthropy & Nonprofit Innovation personnel by the end of the first session will be considered a no-show.
Transfer Policy for Certificate Participants.
- Participants who have bought a full certificate are permitted a one-time single course transfer at $35. After the one-time transfer, the participant will pay full price for the canceled course and must register and pay full price for the new course.